Parents only want the best for their children, they always have. But what about nurturing leadership in your child? Is it difficult? Of course it is. It’s about not overdoing it, and loving it, and stopping it at the right time. Gosh, so many questions…Maybe you need help?
The most important thing: what was not your child – love him and he is already a 50% leader.
Who is a leader?
A leader is taking initiative and taking responsibility. It is gaining ability and doing something better and faster.
What qualities should be fostered in a child to show leadership?
1. Optimism – the child believes in success and infects those around him/her with this belief.
2. Confidence – the child easily overcomes difficulties, does not doubt his abilities. It is very important to cultivate a child’s sense of confidence.
3. Honesty – the child speaks the truth and takes responsibility for his or her words and actions.
4. Determination is an individual quality of a person’s will related to the ability and skill to make responsible decisions independently and timely and to persistently implement them. That is why it is so important to teach a child decisiveness. To make decisions and to be able to be responsible for them.
5. Situational leadership – the child makes the right decisions in difficult situations. He is able and able to take responsibility for himself and others. Can infect others with an idea.
6. Supportive – the child feels supported by an important adult and can give support to others.
7. Delegating – the child distributes tasks to others. He or she is sure that the person to whom he or she has entrusted the task will be able to complete it in full and on time.
What advice can you give to parents of a future leader?
Respect your child’s opinion, discuss with him the actions of people, fairy tale characters; Ask his opinion on any issue. Trust his choice. Listen to him. Try to listen.
The child does not have to get good grades. It is much better if he strives to get them. Very often excellent students are people who just need to be the best, because otherwise they won’t get noticed. Or vice versa, if he will be an excellent student, they will not pay attention to him. The excellent student syndrome has never helped anyone.
Show your child by example that there is no need to be afraid of responsibility. Every adult, in one way or another, takes responsibility. Everyone has responsibilities.
It is important for your child to be able to follow the rules that not only your family lives by, but society as a whole. Again, showing by example is the best way out, Children are our mirror.
Build a trusting relationship so that your child can come to you and talk about any situation that is going on in their life. This is important not only for your peace of mind, but also for your child’s safety.
Last but not least. Teach your child to lose. Losing should give you an incentive to work even harder. Achieve and go forward, no matter what.
How you communicate with your child is very important. You should not scold for every failure, you risk to get a closed, closed to you and society person. Who will be afraid to make an extra step. Discuss it and your actions calmly. You are an adult, you already know how to act in this or that situation. Whereas the child does not know what to do and how to do it. Help him find a way out, but not by moralizing, but by talking and supporting him.